Saturday, September 28, 2013

RECYCLING & UPCYCLING OLD TIN CANS

Inspired (for the nth time) by my ultimate crafting idol, the uber-talented Fiona Jennings, I attempted to make one of her mixed media altered bottles seen here in this vid:



You could watch how she did those and all her other stunning creations on her youtube channel (better yet, subscribe to her channel as well!)  

As I didn't have the awesome materials she used,  I just have to do with what I have and simply follow her tutorials as much as I can.

I don't have nicely-shaped bottles but we have lots of tin cans which I don't throw away.  I tried her method of covering the cans with modeling paste but the old aluminum foiling method proved easier and faster.

What I came up with:


I used crumpled aluminum foil here before I added the embellishments which ranged from clay charms, chipboard and paper die cuts, clay and paper flowers, beads and trims.  Painted everything black then dabbed with silver acrylic paint.  I used plain construction varnish as sealant.

The tall ones can alter between a container with lid or as pen holders.  I highlighted this one with bronze metallic acrylic paint.

Altered soda can.  Used sinamay (hemp) fiber sheet as base, and added some fibers along with the usual embellishments.

These tuna tin cans are the ones we have loads of at home (my son really like canned tuna nyahahahhaha). Here are some of them altered:


Instead of foil or texture paste, I used hemp (?) sheets as base.



I added styrofoam beads to my DIY modeling paste for added texture.




I tried a brick stencil given to me by a crafting friend and it turned out okay :)


I also made them in black and silver :)








Each is one of a kind as I really hate doing the same things over and over.  The fun and challenge for me is actually deciding which embellishment to use and where to place them.  The rest is mechanical once I got the hang of it. 

Exploring our kitchen, I saw some deformed and really bad-looking llaneras (custard plates) and off they went to be altered nyahahahahaha!












As for the lids, I simply traced each container's rim on a thick chipboard, cut and covered with foil or texture paste then embellished.  I have to glue some chipboard strip on the inside as a sort of "lock mechanism" for the lid.

It's quite satisfying to alter ordinary looking things other people take for granted and turning them into something new.

Thanks for dropping by!


3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice work! I was trying to find a tutorial of Jennings for these but COULDN'T! Will you send a link???

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is really a nice and informative, containing all information and also has a great impact on the new technology. Thanks for sharing it service

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear what you think :D