Thursday, August 9, 2012

Creative Scrappers Sketch #219 Challenge Entry

Hello everyone!

Weather's been improving, flood-waters in affected areas are subsiding and relief operations are on-going.  I just admire Filipino resiliency even in times of desperation and crisis.  We have our faults of course (who doesn't ?) but this is what we are and wouldn't trade it for anything.

So, back to my world of crafts.  I saw this sketch on Creative Scrappers last week, the Sketch #219 and I fell in love with it instantly.  Lots of possibilities so lots of fun.  Here's the lovely sketch:



I've been meaning to make a layout featuring my stepdaughter but haven't come around to it until now.   And here's how my layout turned out:




I simply titled it "JHAICY".  I heat embossed the alphas on transparencies using white embossing powder and adhered with Diamond Glaze.  


I used the photos taken years ago when she visited us twice, before I gave birth to my eldest and a few months after.  Unfortunately, we haven't had any opportunity to see one another again so I simply downloaded her facebook profile photo.  I had to insert a cropped photo of my son which she hasn't met yet and used it as one of the circles.


And as usual, I just can't help it.  I had to insert something funny in my layout.  I journalled "my daughter from another mother" LOL! 



I was so inspired by the layouts done by the Design Team specifically Shannon Morgan's doodled borders, Marilyn Rivera's organza flowers, Chiqui Guittierez's rhinestone flourishes  and Elena Olinovitch's strings so I tried to incorporate them in my own layout.   Even the polka-dots pattern is a recurring theme on the layouts.

I used blue and red as my main color scheme and simply put contrasting embellishments on either side.  Most embellish are DIY -- the organza flowers, the rhinestone butterfly, the small mulberry flowers and heat-embossed butterfly. The only ready-made scrapbook embellishment I used is the pink circle with a plastic flower at the bottomright and of course the patterned papers.










The red and blue ribbons/fibers/string (I don't really know how to classify them LOL) are actually from pieces of hair scrunchies which I painstakingly detached years ago.  I got loads from several pieces of scrunchies I detached.  I glued them into fourish design and contrasted the blue fiber with red paper and vice versa then adhered small mulberry flowers randomly.



I cut 8 layers of brown organza using the Sizzix daisy die and heated them with the heat gun.  The pink organza lollipop flowers are simply cut freehand and heated. 


  

The small mulberry papers I created using that free die that comes with the Sidekick machine -- I just cut the flower part and rolled & layered..



I printed the bird & birdhouse image from a free vintage images website (sorry, I forgot which website because it was from 2 years ago :D).  



I heat embossed a butterfly stamp image using bronze UTEE. The rest of the circles I just cut from small scraps of PPs.





I used different stitch pattern stamps coupled with freehand doodling as borders.

This layout is truly enjoyable to make from start to finish.  I might do another one later on because I simply love this sketch!  Thank you Creative Scrappers!

Have a nice day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear what you think :D